How often do you adjust aspect ratios during processing?

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
How often do you adjust aspect ratios during processing?
Oct 27, 2012

As I've been processing my landscape images lately, I'm finding that many of my shots 'feel' better cropped horizontally to an aspect ratio around 1:2.  I've also wound up with a few 1:1 pictures recently.  I entered five shots in a craft fair contest last month, and the public that voted chose the only 1:2 image I entered as their favorite among my shots (all the others were 'normal' at 2:3).

(Note - I'm not talking about all-over crops - I'm keeping the pixel count on the long axis the same when I go to 1:2, and keeping the pixel count on the short axis the same when I go to 1:1)

Something about this is uncomfortable in that I'm used to the normal 35mm aspect ratio (2:3), and I don't recall changing aspect ratios much over the years.  So ... how often do you change aspect ratios during processing?  Do you seem to do it more as your photography matures?  Or am I just going through a phase where my subject matter has all been long and narrow?

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow