Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.
In reply to goshigoo, Oct 27, 2012

goshigoo wrote:

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

I've owned the Canon 5D Mark II since around the time the (disappointing) Olympus E-5 was released, a camera that prompted me to sell off all my 4/3's gear, stick with micro 4/3's for portability, and go full frame for my main camera.

Then came the O-MD and renewed faith in Olympus. I hadn't touched the 5D Mark II since I got my hands on the OM-D on morning of the release day in Japan. Over the months I've slowly sold off my FF gear (50mm f1.4, 100mm f2, 70-200mm f4, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 etc.) until all that remained was the body, 24-105mm kit lens, and flash...all sitting unused and depreciating in value.

I toyed with the idea of getting rid of the 24-105 and picking up the 50mm f1.2 but in the end, the OM-D beat out the Canon in just about every way except, most obviously, the potential for more shallow DOF ( a crutch for many photographers if you ask me).
So, as of today, I am a m4/3's user only. And I've got a bit of cash in my pocket. Let's see....75mm f1.8? 12mm f2? 60mm f2.8? Maybe the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye?

May I know if the Bokeh/DoF is good enough on your OMD, comparing with your 5D2 + 50mm f1.4 / 100mm f2?

I think the main advantage for FF is shallow DoF

The Canon could give you shallower depth of field BUT there are also issues with that. First, with shallower depth of field the chances of missing a shot increase. There were many situations with the 100mm where I would shoot with the focus points locked on the subject's eye, only to check later and see that the focus was off. Second, wide open can also be sharp. The canon 50mm at f1.4 can be quite soft. I often found myself shooting at f2 or above, which defeats the purpose  of full frame, and it loses it's advantage over the 25mm f1.4.

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow