Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Why JPEG is not an option for me.
In reply to threeOh, Oct 26, 2012

threeOh wrote:

coaltrain wrote:

Just curious - you mention Adobe getting together with Fuji about the raw files.

Does Adobe have the only raw editor available?

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

No, there's RPP, SilkyPix and Adobe in the Mac side. I believe there are a few more in the Win side. I'm an Aperture user and the XE-1 caused me to look at the 3 Mac choices. They all have their pros and cons. Where I'm at now is either Adobe Bridge and ACR with SilkyPix available when ACR just does not get me there with the few xp1 raf files I have to play with. Or Lightroom, again with SilkyPix available.

SilkyPix is actually rather nice. Runs fine on my aging iMac. A cluttered modular interface but it's simple use learn, simple to use and actually does very nice editing. The issues with ACR are supposedly color bleeding and smearing on foilege. I have some xp1 files I'm playing with until the xe arrives with some highly intricate lines of color running though a darker background. Absolutely no color bleeding in either Adobe or SilkyPix. I'm not a landscape photographer. While I would noteither any of the apps crisp, they are good enough for the little foilege that gets into my shots.

Thanks for you indepth reply. At first when I wrote my original post, I was kind of being facetious in a way since I get kind of tired of hearing that Lightroom is the only game in town for image editing. I don't hear that so much here in the Fuji sections as much as in others.

I shoot 100% raw with my Pentax gear with great results and not using Lightroom like 99% of the people. While I agree when it was said above that I am so impressed with the Fuji jpeg engine, and that I can't process raw with my standard software (Acdsee Pro6, Capture One, DxO) that I've pretty much decided to just use my x10 and x-s1 as jpeg shooters. The Silkypix software isn't that bad at all if I want to process some raw files - actually I use the Silkypix software for my Pentax cameras quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing your Fuji raw thoughts. Meanwhile I have been tweaking my in camera jpeg settings and just run with that for now.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow