How much is your current gear limiting your photography?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lasse Eisele
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616
Like?
How much is your current gear limiting your photography?
Oct 26, 2012

I'm just as much of a gearhead as anyone, but gear is certainly not the most important limiting factor for me. Here's my limiting factor list:

1) Time.

2) Energy and creativity left after a hard day's (or week's) work.

3) Time.

4) Gear.

You might want to add talent, but talent can be improved with hard work – and time. I certainly wasn't born with natural talent for photography but I think I'm getting better and better.

I came to think about this last week when I went to see my old mother for a few days. She lives 500 km away in a beautiful part of the country. I spent a lot of time with her and I collected two big sacks of weeds from her little garden, but I also had some time left for short hikes in the surroundings. I took many pictures and I think they came out very nice. I used only my Panasonic G3 and my Nikon V1. Here are some of my V1 images from the trip. All of them were taken with the lovely 30-110 mm lens.

This image was taken from an old castle on the way to my mother. I have taken hundreds of pictures of that tree over the years, but this is probably my favourite so far.

Same tree in late sunlight (but I personally like the other picture more).

Small village, also photographed from the castle.

Oh, another picture from the castle.

Stones with lichens and algae on a rocky beach.

Tree sparrows taking off (extreme crop at ISO 800). A few comments about this picture:

1) Art is in the eye of the beholder.

2) You don't need to please everyone (pleasing yourself is enough!).

3) Embrace your failures.

Birch tree and pines. This image is a stitch from four handheld vertcal images. I softened it somewhat afterwards.

The images were shot raw and converted with RPP. All of them were handheld. I'm quite happy with them. And yet, I have to admit I'm dreaming of a D800. I'm sure it will make me a much better photographer.

Regards

Lasse

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow