Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
Re: Other Systems dream of this performance at f/5.6 - but at f/2.0?
In reply to philosomatographer, Oct 26, 2012

philosomatographer wrote:

I've been doing some focus calibration testing with the Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f/2.0 on a very difficult subject (a gauzy curtain) and it dawned upon me again how mind-bendingly good the Olympus E-5 and this peerless lens is at capturing fine detail like fabrics without the faintest sign of moire, yet with the lucidity of fine detail that makes it difficult to believe the image was captured by a Beyer-pattern sensor at all. At f/2.0 already, at 100mm, this sensor is soundly out-resolved across the frame with near-perfect contrast levels.

If depth of field is sufficient (say, distant landscape) the image detail you can capture hand-held at f/2.0 already across the frame is perfectly suitable for the most stringent of professional or artistic needs. The only reason to change your aperture is for depth of field, a trait that absolutely no other system's zoom lenses can boast.

Example image here (DPReview rendering will screw up the image for sure). Processed with RawTherapee on Arch Linux.

Moire/Sharpness/Focusing test image

Oh man, I am humbled to be able to use a lens like this to play around with.

a 70-200 L series mounted on a 20+mp body is gonna deliver astounding results and will stop down to an equivalent f1.4 and can shoot on a body that will give respectable results at 3200 iso and beyond. . .
The 35-100 is a pretty nice lens for sure and it probably is still a bit better than the lens above but without a worthy af motor, body af and sensor it's hard for me to think the results would be consistently better than the competition. It won't be and that's pretty sad.

"Sharpness is extremely high, and impressively consistent right across the frame from center to corner. Truly excellent results are obtained at all focal lengths from wide open through to at least F11, beyond which diffraction gradually takes its toll"
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_70-200_2p8_is_usm_ii_c16/5
-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OnusNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow