Upgrading to FF: ?'s about D600 and 5DIII

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,080Gear list
Like?
Re: AF assist light on D600
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Oct 26, 2012

I replied to your thread in the Canon forums with a much more detailed because I use both brands, but I've tested the D600 and 5DM3 AF. I found the D600 to track better and acquire better in low light. There were subjects where it was so dark I literally could not see them in the viewfinder until my eyes adjusted a minute later and the D600 could focus on them. For anyone to suggest there is "no contest" between AF is a gross exaggeration going either way. Both are outstanding, and one is not way better than the other.

My experience with the D600's autofocus in extremely low light has been mixed. Sometimes it'll acquire, and sometimes it'll just hunt.

Generally, if ISO 25600 and f/1.4 doesn't give a handholdable shutter speed, the D600's autofocus system won't perform consistently. My older Sony a580 sometimes locks in extremely low light if given a high contrast subject, but often isn't accurate. I don't know about how Canon cameras perform in this kind of light.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow