FZ200, ZS15, E-PM1 pics and impressions (full-size OOC pink, yellow & red roses)

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mackey1001
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
FZ200, ZS15, E-PM1 pics and impressions (full-size OOC pink, yellow & red roses)
Oct 26, 2012

Let's get the first observation out of the way - yes, in general there is more noise from the FZ200 compared to my prior FZ150. Not a huge difference, but enough to notice. For those not experienced with photography, or lacking the knowledge or disposition to work to get the most from their photographs (or are just iA users), the FZ150 is probably better for you. In my case, I'm willing to try to get the most from the FZ200, for the added benefit of the fast lens, better EVF, etc.

That said, all of the above FZ200, FZ150, ZS15, E-PM1 are good (maybe even great) cameras, different, and often used for different situations and purposes. There have been many lower light situations, where I was able to get significantly better pictures with the FZ200 compared to the FZ150 because of the faster lens. In other situations, the FZ150 was slightly better. Using RAW narrows the differences. I need the f2.8 for distant, low-light wildlife enabling lower ISO, where it has done well.

Thought those on the fence might find the below images of interest. These are OOC with no adjustments of levels or sharpening. No, I didn't try to match settings exactly, and yes some are exposed differently. From what I recall, the FZ200 and ZS15 shots were in P priority mode, with EV -1/3 and bracketed +-2/3 EV exposures. The FZ200 has -1 NR and +1 sharp, the ZS15 had iResolution ON. The E-PM1 in A priority mode with -1/3 EV. Some auto ISO, some at min ISO.

If I adjust levels and do some light sharpening, the image output will be significantly better, but the point of this exercise was to have some fun(!) and post some OOC pics. One pic also has both the OOC jpg and OOC RAW converted from Aperture unchanged (which shows better bokeh and detail). I think you get the full-size  OOC pics if you click Original Size?. And, I think the EXIF shoud tell you which is from which camera. Enjoy, and hope this is useful

-M1

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow