IQ difference between 1Ds II and 1Ds III ?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Todd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,852
Like?
IQ difference between 1Ds II and 1Ds III ?
Oct 26, 2012

I currently shoot with a pair of 1Ds IIs as my primary cameras.  I really like them. Unfortunately, I'm feeling myself getting a little bit of new camera lust.  The 7K for the 1D X is just not justifiable.  I tried out a 5D3 at a camera shop yesterday.  It didn't feel right in my hands--the grip hit my fingers in a funny way.  I was completely lost trying to select focus points, as was the salesman--no sale.

I tried a 1Ds III a year or so ago on a few sessions, and thought the LCD and battery were big improvements, but didn't see any real improvement in IQ over the 1Ds II.  The menu changes reminded me a lot of the 50D, and I've got a few of those, so that wasn't a big deal.  I really didn't find the larger file size to be a big deal either. The 1Ds IIIs were selling used for $5000+ then, so it was a no-brainer--no sale.

Now, the used price of the 1Ds III has come down to the lower $2000s, so it's quite tempting to pick one up.

My question is, would the improved LCD and batteries be the biggest difference?

Are there tangible differences in IQ that I didn't see in my tests?

-- hide signature --

peace
-Todd Muskopf
High School Senior Portraits in Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
www.muskopf.org
www.ohioindependentartists.com

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow