Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Sold my 2008 1DsmkIII...
Oct 26, 2012

...and do not regret it for the moment. I carefully followed the wave of enthusiasm (justified) for the OM-D and when I noticed a significant price drop in Europe (800Eu) I bought the body to go with the lenses I have collected through the years of the G1, GH1, GX-1. Originally I was tempted to wait and evaluate the GH3 but I discarded it on the basis of price and size and so much of it’s great specs aimed at movie making which is not my cup of tea.

My impressions of the OM-D confirm all that has been said and more. By more I mean the behaviour of OM-D RAW captures to heavy PostProcessing , which the GH1 and the GX-1 could not take without introducing artifacts, blowing highs, showing Noise and practically falling to pieces.

The image below (sugggest you toggle to gallery page for better resolution), is inspired by a still life which gave me the pleasure of ending up in the 2011 challenge of challenges. The setup is similar, instead of the single incandescent light source I had cloudy evening light, and instead of the 1Ds3 + 200/2L IS on a tripod the tiny OM-D + 45/1.8, on the same tripod.

artichoke and bacon pie_helistack_ w

The procedure and PP are complex: five RAW captures at successive focal planes are stacked in Helicon, then Tonal Contrast is selectively applied to the TIFF stacked image in Nik Efex Pro, and the result edited in Lightroom 3.6 where Grad Filters and Brush are applied to emulate the effect of studio lighting.

I find the result pleasing, very few points show blown highs, there is practically no noise (the RAWs were shot at ISO 400, F2.8, 1/20sec, -0.3Ev) the darkened areas show greys free of the typical blue hue (the knife and trencher handle). Micro contrast is good as can be seen at 100% and 200% image crop details, even if the tiny 45/1.8 isn’t the resolution champion (imagine the 75/1.8 in that same situation...)

100% crop of detail

200%crop of detail

The image stabiliser was surely useful too, at that angle of view even on a tripod building vibrations can offset the juxtaposition of multiple exposures and reduce sharpness.

The heavy bag has been dented, Canon L and Zeiss glass will follow. Hopefully M4/3 will give me more years of passion, free of backaches and fear of theft.

Regards, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Canon EOS-1Ds Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow