Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jthomas
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
10 mm Lens for Hiking and Climbing
Oct 26, 2012

Just acquired a V1 after the price drop.  I bought it mainly to have something small and light for hiking and climbing.  Although bigger than many compacts, it fills the bill for me.  I have seen many posts praising the pancake lens.  The small size is definitely appealing for my intended purpose.

I just returned from a hiking trip in the Grand Canyon, carrying only the 10-30 zoom, which worked great.  Out of curiosity, I examined all of my keepers for focal length used.  I found that approximately half of them were taken at 10mm, so the pancake would have been great for those.  However, the other half were taken with all different focal lengths.

Has anyone had experience with taking nothing but the 10mm on such a trip?  Did you miss the zoom? If you were going on the climbing trip of a lifetime, would you take only the 10mm?

Thanks for any insights.

Jim

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow