Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ErikkaSmith
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
My first Non-DX Prime Lens!
Oct 26, 2012

So I have a luggage full of DX lenses, a D3100 and a D7000. Now, I'm looking to buy a non-DX prime lens (I dont wanna say FX lens because the lens is not only for FX), I've made a conclusion to buy either a 24mm f/1.4G or a 35mm f/1.4G. As you know, the crop factor will make my field of view narrower so I believe these are my only 2 options for indoor handheld photography (considering I'm in a tight apartment most of the time).

Im wondering if you all could shed light on the issue of distortion and edge softening. Both of these have test results from various sources indicating how much distortion the lens has and where the lens is sharp and unsharp (center to edges). As we know, these tests are generally made with FX cameras, so that means, it uses all of the lens, while DX only uses the center portion of the lens.

What effect does these two properties, distortion and edge softening, have when I use it with DX?

ErikkaSmith's gear list:ErikkaSmith's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow