Widest rectilinear prime for a Canon under $1000 with excellent IQ?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
kjbkix
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do you want to go so wide?
In reply to joger, Oct 26, 2012

Where is that? Looks like horseshoe bend but without the canyon! Also, I'm surprised you made this in mono...seems like the kind of shot where color would be an improvement. Even for the mono processing, I'd suggest a bit more clarity and contrast as it's lacking pop across the frame.

joger wrote:

luckily Canon did not listen to you when they designed the wonderful TS-E 17

I bought the 40 STM because it is a no bariner to buy it for the given low price - it has fantastic image quality and that would qualify it for being used a lot.

Yet I find the images so boring that this good lens is hardly used - but since it did not cost so much it is a kind of camera dust protection in my photo bag

Your statement is a kind of annoying since it is mainly your point of view.

I agree with the OP that super wide angle lenses are just fine for landscape - I like the FOV - for me and many others wider then 35/40 mm is very good usable for landscape

Try this with a 40 mm lens

I did it and the stitching never gave the same image - no matter which technique or software I used and I tried it very hard because the temptation to leave the TS-E 17 at home und simply walk arround with the STM 40 is extremely high.

If you're after quality there is no substitute for a TS-E 17 - sometimes there is only one point where you can do an image except you have the money for a helicopter or a crane - I like the shot as it is and these are two TS-E 17 shots stitched rectilinear with no camera movement.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow