ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zeniu17
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
NEX-5R First Impressions and WiFi Problems
Oct 26, 2012

First Impressions

I acquired the NEX-5R few days ago, and having been a former NEX-5 and NEX-5N user I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.  Overall I do see an improvement in focusing, but only in that I'm able to capture more well focused pictures than on the 5N. In terms of focus speed I don't see much of an improvement if any, maybe a little faster in well lit or outdoor/daylight environment.  I looks like the focusing system still defaults to contrast detect only when shooting in dim light - which is most of the time when shooting indoor. I do like the 5R's jpeg rendering a little better - it's more punchy, colours and especially skin tones are improved and more detail visible at high ISO. Also, when shooting indoor with flash in auto mode, the camera no longer defaults to using ISO 1600, it now uses ISO 800 and lower which is a big improvement in overall look of the pictures taken with flash. Metering is somewhat improved too.  One thing I wish to be changed in future firmware upgrades is the behaviour of the Flash White Balance. When this setting is enabled pictures come out great when using flash, but when the flash is not used the camera still applies this flash white balance setting creating blue-ish pictures. It should default back to auto white balance or at least try to compensate when flash is not fired, like many other cameras do.

Wifi Problems

I personally like the wifi feature for its potential and future applications.  In terms of functionality it worked well when it worked - but the problem I ran into is range, or the sensitivity of the camera's wifi x-ceiver.  Sony claims 300m line of sight (outdoor) range, while I was able to only get about 10m, after which distance I was losing connection, regardless whether I used the camera with my smartphone or my high power 300N wifi router.  My cellphone and my netbook both had about 100m range in the same setting.  So basically the wifi hardware on the camera has problems.  Now, my questions are:

Did anyone else come across the same/similar wifi problems?

Could this be sample or batch specific, or do they all have the same issues?

NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow