Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 912
Like?
Re: Clarification
In reply to JamieTux, Oct 26, 2012

JamieTux wrote :

Unless something drastic has changed for the worse... You can change AF operation mode with an FN botton on the front on Nikon too - I used to to cycle between number of expansion points on the D700.

You cannot do what you can do with the 5D III. Yes, you can press the front button, and THEN turn a dial to change the AF expansion points. What you cannot do, is REGISTER in the menu several AF parameters that will automatically be ALL changed WHILE pressing the preview button.

You could also set whole custom menus up (4 for camera function and 4 for image settings) on the Nikon, it was one of my most used features when I was using the D300 and D700. So I'm not really sure where Canon wins here - I think it's more of a case of which are you more familiar with.

The User banks and Custom user banks on the Nikon are not as functional as the custom modes on the Canon. First, they're dumb, they don't remember changes (if you want them to). Second, they're slow to access (certainly not the sort of thing you can do blind by just turning a dial in a fraction of a second). Third, they're separated in two between normal user banks and custom settings banks. The result is that while they may be useful when going from one shooting session to another, they're just useless in a street photography situation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow