Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jerrycambuk
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
X-E1 - More Initial Thoughts
Oct 26, 2012

My Black X-E1 and 35mm lens arrived yesterday as promised by my dealer, so to continue the theme of a couple of other threads (which have been really useful so many thanks to the contributors) here are my own very basic initial thoughts on my new Camera.

1/ Size and Quality: Body is almost identical in size and weight to the X100 which I already own, but ergonomically feels better. With the 35mm attached, the 'balance' of the overall package is excellent, and a perfect light weight camera for vacations etc. Build quality is superb, as is my X100.

2/ Ease of use - getting to know the camera: Anyone who has used another X product such as the 100 or 1, will not need to open the instruction manual. Twenty minutes of playing with the X-E1 is all you need - it is a simple camera to use. Any former film users, used to analogue controls, will also find this an easy camera to use. Thankfully the menu system is not difficult to work through either. I managed to programme my fn button with no issues, and use it for film style choice.

3/ Focus speed - seems on a par with a Nikon DSLR (such as a D300 or D700) with an older style AF-D lens such as an 85mm f1.8 or 35mm f2. Not much hunting, but not superfast either. The new zoom (which I have on order) will be the speed machine I think, but the prime is no slouch.

4) Image Quality: My 40 or so sample snaps from last night suggest that IQ will be truly outstanding. The quality at iso 3200 is fantastic. I notice no real difference between my D700 and this X-E1, so I think my D700 will be a paperweight in future.

5) Manual focus - easy peasy. The review mode to enhance magnification in the excellent EVF is very good too. I nailed my first few manual focus attempts, even at f1.4 with a razor thin DoF.

6) Flash - very useful for fill, but won't light the Albert Hall. The bounce function (impromptu) talked about on another thread is a very useful tip, just hold the stalk upright with a spare finger. Easy to do.

7) Storage - I will use my Think Tank Skin BodyBag as the home for this camera when out and about. It is a perfect size for a small 'day out' package for the camera, a couple of lenses, spare battery, card and cleaning cloth. Whilst the Skin series is not padded, you can carefully arrange inserts to give plenty of protection to the camera and lenses. As for a strap, I'm using my Optech Classic strap with accessory pro loop XL connectors - largely because I like the 'over shoulder/under arm' fit which this gives. The supplied Fuji strap isn't very good, so leave it in the box!

8) Attached ubiquitous pet photograph: We have no live pets. As such, here is an FAO Schwarz stuffed dog, which I hope will do! This is an almost 100% crop from the original, and yes, I know the focus is slightly off before someone tells me!

Overall - great camera. Glad I waited, as the overall package is fantastic, good value and great fun to use. The X-E1 is off with me to Cyprus next week for a real field test, and I can't wait.

Woof! Does this X-E1 make me look cute?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow