I want an L lens and can afford either the 70-300 or the 100-400. Which one?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Matt
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: I want an L lens and can afford either the 70-300 or the 100-400. Which one?
In reply to blogan, Oct 26, 2012

Will you notice the difference with an L, depends are what you are comparing it to, generally yes.  Now for action sports, need to understand what you are shooting and when.  Both of these lenses work in good light conditions but start to fail as the light leaves.  Their apertures will force you into higher ISO settings to compensate and still provide faster shutter speeds to freeze the action.  If your are going to shoot high school sports such as football where most games are in the evening, either of these lenses will most likely frustrate you.  Slower to focus and really high ISO compensation to keep the shutter well above 1/500. Fast glass is the king in the action sports arena i.e. f/2.8.

The AF on the newer 70-300L is definitely better but in photography you are always dealing with compromise as the reach of this lens is less than the 100-400.  For wild life, its all about reach, choice is simple.

Matt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow