Chipworks analyzes FF sensors

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bare
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Re: For you it may feel so, but the facts disagree with you
In reply to zlatko, Oct 26, 2012

zlatko wrote:

Your comment about Canon requiring exposure like slide film is simply wrong. Shooting with Canon today is not at all like shooting with slide film. That may have been true with the first generation of DSLRs.

Your comment about dynamic range is common knowledge, but not a reflection about any flaw or fault with Canon sensors, if that's what you mean to imply. The many professionals and amateurs who rate Canon very highly certainly aren't suffering with deficient sensors, despite what a few anonymous posters here would have us believe.

Moreover, a camera system is more than one parameter. If a photographer finds that his photographic world depends on not exceeding a specific level of "pattern noise" or some other parameter, then of course he will need to find a camera and sensor that meets that threshold requirement. Photographers have diverse applications and needs, and I understand that some may find this to be a reality. But for many of us, photography does not come down to one such parameter. "Pattern noise" is not even on my radar of issues because it hasn't been an issue for me in years, certainly not with current cameras.

It's caused by outdated Canon ADC arhitecture.

I will quote Ryan Brenizer(A Nikon user’s review of the Canon 5D Mark III):
Unfortunately, like most Canon cameras before it including the other 5Ds, the 5D Mark III files are significantly worse at dealing with pushed exposures than the Nikon D3s, and seemingly also the D4 and D800. The Nikons keep a lot of dynamic range in their shadows, and you can raise exposures quite a bit without significantly degrading image quality. Even if you try to nail exposures, this gives you more dynamic range headway and better ability to creatively dodge and burn an image.

Bare's gear list:Bare's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow