Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JRM60
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638
Like?
New external SSD for old iMac.........
Oct 26, 2012

The other night I managed to knock my 24" iMac off it's cart and it landed upside down but with no further external damage that I could see.  Put it back up and it seemed to be working but very slowly.  Spinning wheel a lot.  Went into utilities and was going to do a disk repair but it said it needed to be run from startup disk - didn't have that handy so as soon as I could find it I was going to give the repairs a try.  Before I got to that point, the spinning wheel locked up and that was it.  Did a reboot with an external backup and the computer seems to be running fine but the original hard drive does not show up any where in finder so I assume it died or got disconnected when bumped in the fall, don't know for sure what really happened.

My question is, can I plug in an external SSD, then load Snow Leopard from  my original install disk which would give me a clean install on the SSD and then could I restore or migrate from my time machine backups to the new SSD and be running again.  If that won't work, can I do a restore to the external hard drive I am using for a boot drive right now (superduper backup) which would give me the latest data (the external backup is about 8 mos. old).

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance......

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow