Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
Re: Expect any lenses from Tamron or Sigma
In reply to El Matadurr, Oct 26, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

Philnw2 wrote:

I think more folks would think of a NEX as a replacement for their dslr, if there were normal or mid tele zooms available. Current Sony zooms have the long end at F6.3, apparently to save size. But Sony should think bigger, IMO, by building a 50-135 f2.8 lens (which is equivalent to FF 70-200f2.8), put a lens mount on it, and make it usable for AF, even slow AF, and customers would buy it for nature work. Or at the very least, an F4 constant lens.

We get back to the physics problem of these bigger lenses weighing down the whole kit, notably making it all front-heavy. A 50-135mm f/2.8 lens would possibly work, but a 50-135 f/4 has potential (from a weight/size standpoint)

Even f4 is going to be a bit large.  Letting the max. aperture vary probably allows a lot more flexibility in the design.  I thought Sony already had a mid-tele on the roadmap?

As for a DSLR replacement, one of my favorite lenses was the Tamron 17-50/2.8.  The constant 2.8 made it really large and heavy, and that's one reason I wanted to replace it.  I think the Tamron 55-200 may have been my next-favorite lens, and we already have that equivalent for the Nex.  I also quite liked a 28-105/4-5.6 (or some such), so I could see the value in a mid-zoom, but I don't see a Nex version as even f4 much less f2.8.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow