what is the gp-1A about?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Questions thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,271Gear list
Like?
Save yourself $300
In reply to davidwheelerphd, Oct 26, 2012

The GP-1A looks pretty much like the GP-1 which I have.

Let me save you $300 - don't get it, it sucks. For $300 bucks you expect something that is sort of useful.

Cr@ppy things about the GP-1:

• needs good view of sky to get signal, slow lock
  • GPS coordinates are only recorded when the unit has a lock (i.e. anytime something blocks the sky, you have no GPS data and no location info) - e.g. it doesn't use the last known position when you enter a building
  • incredibly inconvenient - stiff cable which dwarfs the unit gets in the way of everything
  • mounting on the hot shoe means flash cannot be opened
  • while the unit has a cable to connect to a 10 pin socket, there is no way to connect a 10 pin remote to the unit - so people using 10 pin remotes are supposed to buy another remote?
  • no direction information - though the camera will display it (I believe some alternatives to, which would be good for logging direction shot taken)
  • they have actually raised the price on this??? I think it was around $200+

If you really want to throw away $300 - send it to me. Alternatively give it to charity.

Alternate solutions:

• take a picture with your smart phone at every location you want to log and copy the data from the smart phone picture using View NX - smart phones use assisted GPS and are far more accurate and many (like iPhones) will have a location inside buildings etc. Even if you were using a GP-1 mounted to your camera, you will most likely not have GPS data for most images for the reasons above and will have to copy.
  • run an application on your smart phone like gps4cam
  • try an alternative product like Aokatec (around $80)- in order to be worse than the Nikon GP-1, it would have to be so incredibly poor. If it mounts on the camera like it's supposed to, it's already doing better.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow