Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
geoson
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
Short visit to PhotoPlus
Oct 26, 2012

My day job ended at 3, giving me only 90 minutes at PhotoPlus.  I'll have a more leisurely day there on Saturday.  But with my limited time, I focused on Pentax, Olympus, and Samsung.

While looking at the 645D (my one nod to gear lust), I asked the Pentax rep for his OPINION (because who am I that he would give me a scoop, assuming he knew anything) about Pentax 35mm sensor possibilities.  The short answer is he doesn't think it's coming anytime soon, if at all.  His reasons are that Pentax is a small company, and doesn't have the resources to not only develop a camera, but also redesign most of their lens.  Of course he stressed that those decisions are above his pay grade.

He also said that with camera R&D, sensors are purchased first, then a camera is built around them.  I have no knowledge of camera R&D, but if true it could lead one to think that there's a 35mm being tested off the grid.  The $2100 - 2800 question in my mind is weather Pentax can get the "Nikon rate" from Sony for a FF sensor.  If not, then FF may not be economically feasible for a small company like Pentax-Ricoh.

The rep told me that he has not seen a FF road map from Pentax, while he knew that the recently announced 90mm 645 lens was in the pipeline for some time.

Pentax is not Canon, Nikon, or Sony.  Sony came out of the gate with aggressive pricing, and still was not able to make a real mark on the big 2.  Pentax introduced the 645D because, unlike Canikon, they had a history with medium format.  I wonder what is the level of interest in a 35mm Pentax beyond forums like these?  The average consumer has little need for the advantages of 35mm.  Where else is the word bokeh used in conversation?

The cameras are out there for those who want them (fewer than some might think) or need them (even fewer than the people who want them).  The Pentax rep felt that if you're waiting for Pentax, you may have a long wait.  Did I mention before that this is his OPINION?

geoson's gear list:geoson's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +1 more
Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow