Do you feel that Canon "price gouged" early 5D III buyers?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
zlatko
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you feel that Canon "price gouged" early 5D III buyers?
In reply to shaunly, Oct 25, 2012

shaunly wrote:

Jeff Palmucci wrote:

No, I don't feel gouged. For the amount of camera you were getting, and compared to what else was available, I thought (and still think) it was a pretty reasonable price.

However, now that the D800, and especially D600 are out, Canon will probably have to lower their prices a bit.

I'm still glad I bought it when it first came out. I'd rather have the several months with the 5D3 than my $400 or so.

Its obvious that the price drop were due to fallen sales figures and to stay competitive. Other companies are offering much more for less. Why do you think they announced a new firmware press released with more features. I think Canon has finally started to see that they can't keep milking brand loyalty.

Wait ... price drops over time are extremely common in the camera business and in many other businesses.  Countless cameras, lenses, flashes and other gadgets — from numerous brands, those with and without brand loyalty — go through similar price adjustments.  And firmware updates are also very common in the camera business.  You take these two points as evidence that "Canon has finally started to see that they can't keep milking brand loyalty"?  That presupposes an unjustified assumption, and then draws an unjustified conclusion.

zlatko's gear list:zlatko's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow