Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Henneman
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
D800 vs d600 questions
Oct 25, 2012

I'm considering an upgrade from my canon 50d kit which includes: ef-s 10-22, ef-s 17-85, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, ef 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS.

I was considering getting the following kit for a d600: new nikon 24-85 VR, Tokina 17-35 f/4, Nikon 85 f/1.8, nikon 300mm f/4. By the time I get my new RRS bracket and sd cards, cable release, etc, the price is one I could live with.

For $900 more, I could just get the d800 and have no regrets. no oil spots, bettter af, better camera period.  What do you think?"

I tried out a d600 in the store and am afraid I'd be dissatisfied with the the af points being too clustered in the center of the frame. Can you focus and recompose by a half press of the shutter on the d600?

All the reviews say you need the BEST glass to make use of the D800, and I just won't spend that kind of $ on a hobby.  This lens kit mentioned above is pushing it price wise.

I realize the above lenses won't get the most of that 36mp sensor, but will they look any worse than on the d800 than they will on the d600?

Another af question. I find in the d600 specs that af sensitivity in low light is -1ev. I can't find anything in the specs about the d800 af low light sensitivity. What is it?

I'd appreciate any comments you have about this switch, including lens selection and body comparison.

BTW, most of my shooting is landscape, wildlife, and travel. You can check my website here if you like.

http://davidhenneman.smugmug.com/

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

The tolerance and understanding necessary to heal must come from each and every one of us, arising out of our everyday conduct until decency reaches a flood tide. — Muhammad Ali

Canon EOS 50D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow