D700 looking to set up a cheap home studio for portraits - Any advice?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
tiko
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 looking to set up a cheap home studio for portraits - Any advice?
In reply to ohcello, Oct 25, 2012

ohcello wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to gauge how much $$$ it might cost to get some basics for taking studio shots of my family, etc.

I have the D700 and wondering if I could use the pop up flash as commander and maybe get one additional flash and something to diffuse it with (umbrella or box?)?

I'm not looking to make $$ or anything, but rather have a way of getting something resembling a pro studio shot even if not quite as good.

I'm not even thinking about backdrops yet, I just want to see what my options are with lighting/CLS, etc.

Thanks.

A couple of years back I started off with two speedlights (an SB-600 and SB-R200), a Westcott stand + softbox and a muslin backdrop. Total cost ~ $650. I think I have a couple of shots in my gallery from that setup with a  Nikon D90 (used popup flash as commander). The good thing about using speedlights and Nikon's CLS is that you can carry it with you anywhere  and not have to worry about tripping over wires used by (some) strobes. Also provides good flexibility on light placement.

-- hide signature --

@AT

tiko's gear list:tiko's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow