Microsoft security Essentials is recommending removal of JAVA?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539Gear list
Like?
Re: Microsoft security Essentials is recommending removal of JAVA?
In reply to Deleted1929, Oct 25, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

The browser plug-in using Java 1.7 is supposed to have an outstanding security issue, although I'm not certain of the issue. So as a precaution you might want to disable that plug-in ( you can still install it, as that will let you get updates automatically when they're available, which won't happen otherwise ).

Oracle claims to have fixed this issue, although I've not seen that verified by an independent source.

Java applications are, as I understand it, unaffected by this issue and remain as safe as any other application running under MS. So the JRE and JDK should be fine to install and use.

Personally I use Java 1.6 for my browser and for application development, and that's apparently fine ( not affected by the 1.7 issue ).

As someone remarked a better AV system would be a good idea as well.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

OK.I disabled the browser plug-ins....2 of them...... When I get another update request, will it re-install the browser plug-ins? I'm assuming that it will. So I'd need to remove them at every update?

Is it possible to revert to Java 1.6? If, yes, what do you do when Java updates pop up? IIRC, it does a complete re-install.

As you see, I'm not very well versed in these things!

Thanks,

Fred

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow