So is the SX260 low-light AF really all that bad?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JohnEwing
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
So is the SX260 low-light AF really all that bad?
Oct 25, 2012

I'm currently seeking to replace my old Panasonic TZ3 Travel Zoom with something a bit more recent. I use the camera mostly on long-distance cycle rides, so weight & versatility are priorities.

Current candidates are the Canon SX260, the Nikon P9300 and the Panasonic TZ30. I've been through a good few reviews, and seen positive and negative points for all of them, trolled PBase for sample pics and YouTube for user reviews (not very informative). On the negative side, the Canon's autofocus is supposedly iffy to non-existent in low light, the same goes for the Nikon and the Panny's image quality is not what it might be - pure blue skies come out splotchy. On the positive side the Canon's IQ is good for such a small sensor, the Nikon not far behind it and the Panny has a bunch of very nifty features including a GPS database of landmarks. I'm rather interested in the GPS aspect of all these cameras because I'm very good at forgetting where I took pictures of what.

I'm not exactly inexperienced: my current stable comprises two hefty Nikon SLRs plus a D40 for mucking about, a range of lenses, a Canon G12, a Panny FT1 for the wet and the aforesaid TZ3. In other words, I know what I'm about but I'll admit to being a bit flummoxed when it comes to choosing the new beastie.

Just now I'm leaning to the SX260 but I'd be interested in reading an answer to my question first: is the SX260 low-light AF really all that bad?

Cheers.

JohnEwing's gear list:JohnEwing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony RX100 Nikon D200 +16 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow