Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting HD video on DSLR to achieve portrait mode
In reply to SStudio, Oct 25, 2012

SStudio wrote:

Hi there,

I'm new to video and would appreciate some advice on how to shoot a video in portrait mode.

I need to shoot some company staff members for a website in portrait mode. Basically they will be stepping into the shot and introducing themselves then stepping out of the shot.

I tried to shoot it with the camera in the vertical position - hoping to simply flip the video into portrait mode, however I just get black strips down the sides etc.

What is the fastest possible way in terms of shooting and editing (using FCP or similar) to shoot to achieve the video in portrait mode?

Any help at all much appreciated

Don't shoot in portrait mode! Video is designed to shoot in the Landscape mode, no matter how you want to think out of the box, keep it in landscape. Yes you can fool around in After Effects and turn it any way you want, but, unless your really creative, and the concept of your video is a creative design, keep it simple.

To get a portrait look in the landscape mode, fill the frame with as much of the subject as you can while still being able to see this person's head and face. Also, don't do the Bullseye syndrome! (Center Frame) frame the subject to the left or right.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow