X3F to TIFF to DNG than ACR for RAW processing, anyone try this?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
X3F to TIFF to DNG than ACR for RAW processing, anyone try this?
Oct 25, 2012

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.ca/2012/10/sigma-dp2-merrill-review-and-user_7.html

"the X3F setting in SPP gives the most neutral image, and seems to be pretty much what the camera has recorded. I then batch process these files to create .tiff files. I then open these up in ACR in Photoshop CS6 and convert these .tiffs to .dng files. This allows me to then run them through ACR and it also reduces the file size considerably for long term storage. The image at the top of the page shows the difference I can get.

So am I loosing anything? After a lot of testing it seems not. I'm certainly not loosing the amazing sharpness.Just as important, am I adding anything I don't want, such as noise or artefacts? Well again after testing and looking at the results, it seems not.This obviously takes time, but since the SPP and ACR batch conversions can happen in the background when I'm doing something else, its not that much of a problem. The advantage is that when I get round to working on the files, its a lot easier, because I have .dng files to work with which are smaller than either the X3F or TIFF files. This makes my whole editing process a lot simpler, easier, quicker and more versatile."
What I am most interested in is that will this method fix the unreliable white balance problem that SPP have and hence required individual editing of every image?
Would ACR somehow make the WB correct?
By the way this blog is very good for Sigma owner.  The author is a recent Sigma fan
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow