Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbramham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,227Gear list
Like?
Some photos from Iceland (D800)
Oct 25, 2012

I've recently come back from a 4 day photography trip to Iceland in the great company of Mike Spriggs and John Leech (Jkjond here on DPR).

Those of you who have been will know that Iceland is a surreal place. It's unlike any other country I've seen, and absolutely fantastic for photography. The variety and majestic nature of the landscape is wonderful!

Here's a few of the photos that I took. I only used 2 lenses - my Nikon 16-35vr and 70-300vr. The D800 was really great over the 4 days and a joy to use. It didn't get treated gently and got soaking wet numerous times and once, at 4am in the pitch dark,  I dropped it 3ft onto a tarmac road; the camera was fine but the Markins 'L' plate that is permanently fixed to it lost some paint.

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

1 - Dawn at Vik

The black basalt cliffs and beach at Vik contrast nicely with the white surf of the big atlantic waves.
This was photographed at dawn from a point further along the headland from Vik where a small river that you can see at the bottom of the photo flows into the Atlantic Ocean.
The biggest issue with this photo was trying to hold the tripod down in one place during the 2 minutes that the camera took to take the image - the winds on top of the cliff edge must have been at least 30mph.

Exposure 2mins, Aperture f/16, 35 mm, ISO 100

2 - Vik Church

This was photographed at night in the small coastal town of Vik in Iceland and shows the town's lovely church which is floodlit at night and perched on a beautiful spot high up on a hill overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

Exposure 20secs Aperture f/11, 195 mm, ISO 100

3 -  Hallgrímskirkja, Reykjavik

4 -  Northern Lights

Exposure 30secs, Aperture f/4.0, 16 mm, ISO 3200

5 -  Vestmannaeyjar

A flock of geese and a rain filled sky with one of the Vestmannaeyjar group of islands in the background.

6 -  Vatna Glacier

One of the many glaciers that come down to the coastal plain off Vatnajökull and the Skaftafell National Park. This particular one was right next to our hotel.

Exposure 1/400sec Aperture f/8, 200 mm, ISO 180 (auto-iso)

7 -  Icebergs on the Beach

A long-exposure semi-abstract photo of icebergs on one of the many black volcanic beaches.

Exposure 1min, Aperture f/9, 35 mm, ISO 100

8 -  Jökulsarlón

A glacial lagoon in south Iceland where ice breaking off the glacier floats out to sea.

Exposure 1/30, Aperture f/8, 180 mm, ISO 160

9 -  Seljalandsfoss Waterfall

Seljalandsfoss is a spectacular waterfall in the south of Iceland. The water drops 60m (200ft) from the the top of the cliff and it's possible to walk behind the falls which is where I took this photo from looking back toward the coastal plain and the setting sun.
I used a circular B+W 6 stop neutral density filter to get a slow shutter speed (1.6 seconds) so I could slightly blur the water but it was almost impossible to keep the lens free of water droplets as the falls created a fine mist of water that filled the air - by the time I'd finished both me and the camera were dripping wet.

ianbramham's gear list:ianbramham's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow