Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trale
Contributing MemberPosts: 990
Like?
RX100 vs 5DMarkIII portrait shoot-out
Oct 25, 2012

Did a casual shoot recently, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how well my little RX100 would hold up against my "real" camera the 5D3 with a portrait lens 50mm F/1.4

It's not a controlled test, and I only took a few shots with the RX100, but it was similar conditions, and the pics underwent similar brief post processing with LR, re-sized to a similar resolution

Here are the most comparable pics of the bunch:

The lighting here was harsher.

The DOF and bokeh gives away which is which, but if not for that, I'd say it'll be very hard to distinguish between the two. The facial details are very similar. Of course I am cheating a little bit since these are reduced resolution. At 100% rez it's very easy to distinguish between a RX100 shot and a 5D3 shot. But it takes surprisingly little down-sizing to make the IQ look similar between them.

In a pinch (or an impromptu situation) the RX100 can definitely take some nice portraits when I'm not specifically doing a prepared shoot with a full-frame DSLR.

What do you guys think?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow