comparing Canon 50mm 1.2 and 50mm 1.4 lenses

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
zlatko
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: comparing Canon 50mm 1.2 and 50mm 1.4 lenses
In reply to chironNYC, Oct 25, 2012

chironNYC wrote:

I have been comparing a Canon 50mm 1.2 L to a Canon 50mm 1.4 by photographing various scenes.

My experience with the lenses is that, when shooting both at 1.4, the 1.2 is sharper than the 1.4 at distances greater than about 3 feet, but that the 1.4 is sharper at distances under about 3 ft.

Has anyon else had similar experiences with these lenses, or is this an artifact of something I am doing or the particular copies I have?

When shooting at 1.4, the 1.2 lens should be a little sharper.  See here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=403&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=1&LensComp=115&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

If the 1.2 lens is less sharp at nearer distance, it may need a bit of autofocus micro-adjustment in the camera.  This can fine-tune it to the distance that is most important for you.  Each lens may be a little off at some distance.

Apart from the issue of sharpness, the 1.2 generally has slightly but noticeably nicer colors and contrast, with the result of giving a more luminous and pleasing image of most scenes with better sculptural qualities and feeling of depth. Does this second point fit with what others have found?

Yes, definitely.  The 1.4 is good, but the 1.2 has an especially beautiful way of drawing.  It is hard to describe, but I think you've described it pretty well.

zlatko's gear list:zlatko's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow