D800 second repair attempt (October, Melville) failed.

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rplst8
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
D800 second repair attempt (October, Melville) failed.
Oct 25, 2012

So my D800 came back from Melville, NY after it's second repair attempt. Here are the results.

This was done with a Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D @ 1.5m

Left to right: left-most, center, right-most AF sensor.
Top to bottom: PDAF Trial 1, PDAF Trial 2, PDAF Trial 3, CDAF

First with no fine tune applied.

Everything roughly the same, but not great.

Now with +15 fine tune as suggested by FoCal

Center is now dead nuts on, left is very soft, virtually no change for right.

Some commentary...

With no fine tune applied, everything looks about equal across the frame compared to one another. Sometimes it even nails it (maybe 1 out of 5 tries).

With +15 fine tune applied, the center becomes RAZOR, and I mean razor sharp. It nails focus 99 out of 100 times it seems to me and you could cut steel with the photos you take. However the left becomes very soft.

With a setting of +5 to +10 the center sharpens up from where it was at zero, and the left doesn't get too much worse - but the center is not as good as it is at +15.

So far I've only tested with the AF 50mm f/1.8 D. Taking all these shots and making sure one doesn't miss a frame or bump anything is tedious, and frankly I loathe it at this point. I will try to test with my 20mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.8 this weekend. That said, I'm not doubting my plastic fantastic. I stuck it on my D300 and repeated the tests and to my eye, it nails focus every time with no fine tune applied - matching the live view results. As I've said before, the D300 is really the only proper comparison because it has the same number of AF points, shares nearly the exact same AF frame coverage as the D800, and has about 85% of the vertical resolution of the D800 over the same physical area.

The D800 does still produce some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen. The dynamic range is nothing short of amazing. Maybe I'm just asking too much of this camera. But for $3000, I think it should be able to match or better my D300.

Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow