2 Primes + 1 zoom or 2 zooms? Trying to decide on the most efficient combo...

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ml16
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
2 Primes + 1 zoom or 2 zooms? Trying to decide on the most efficient combo...
Oct 25, 2012

I have a D800 with the 50 1.8G and 85 1.8G.  On a recent trip, I've determined that 50 at the short end is too long for me.  Also, I am planning on getting to 70-200, though not sure which one (2.8 vs 4) to give me the reach I need when I go on vacation. The 50 and 85 are a bit too close in focal length for my shooting needs so I am trying to decide between 2 options:

1) Sell the 50 and get the 28 1.8G, thereby having 2 primes and 1 zoom.  The 2 primes would be my general walking around lenses and the 70-200 would be for vacations, special photography outings, etc.

2) Sell both the 50 and 85 and get the 24-85 VR , thereby having 2 zooms.  Part of the zoom ranges overlap, but this is the most economical option for 2 zooms (though I have also considered the 24-120 F4)

While I would love to get the 24-70 and 70-200 combo, $$ are prohibitive to me.  Part of my dilemma is that I found the 24-85 range to be limiting.  I used this lens for about a week and often thought I could get the same shots with some cropping if I had a wider prime.

I take a lot of pictures of family and friends and need a lens that's wide enough to use in somewhat cramped spaces (i.e. restaurants, inside houses, etc.) but don't want something so wide that distortion becomes an issue.

Sorry for the long explanation.  I guess my questions is, is the 28 1.8 a good choice as a walk around lens?

Thanks.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow