Forum ProPosts: 11,022Gear list
Like?
Re:fad// My thoughts, FWIW
In reply to fad, Oct 25, 2012

fad wrote:

Jack Simpson wrote:

fad wrote:

Hi Frank,

•  An experienced photographer filling in at ICP last week reminded us that ​all​ photography is voyeurism, not just some of it.
  • These are not really great photos, but better than average on dpr.
  • Their subject matter is interesting.   I believe the lack of artistic intent make them more interesting documents.
  • I am very glad if people have a very high opinion of the state of their hearts and compassion.   My religion, and the experience of a long life, tell me there is no one whose heart is not frequently a stone.  It's always easier to escape that self-knowledge by proclaiming one's compassion for stranger's than burrowing in deeper at home.
  • Our feelings about these people, their responsibility for themselves, society's treatment of them, that there but for the grace of God go you or I, and good taste has no meaning to them in their predicament.  It's only of concern to us, and it should not be, at least when photographing them.
  • They share our common humanity, and part of that is to be photographed in public.
  • When photographing them one needs to pay attention to light, humanity, composition and story, just like anyone else.
  • I think what people found particularly disturbing is that the photographer did not follow the usual conventions of the genre as established by Jacob Riis and others.   These are very clear, straightforward pictures in beautiful color.   It's actually an amazing strategy, if only the photographer were more advanced.   The strength of the reaction is a tribute to the photographer's skill and power.
  • Please keep posting pictures like this.   The impassiveness of your style is something I like

Very well stated sir     I'm curious as to which photographer you heard speaking at ICP?   ICP (and New York City), is a place I hope to get to at some point in the shooting days as I can only imagine what it must like wandering the city(s) with ones camera

Well, I can't speak objectively about NYC since I'm madly in love with the place.

The photographer was Billy Cunningham (not Bill Cunningham of the NYTimes, BTW).  He a guest in this course, and was very good at good at getting us to see and articulate what our emotional reaction to each other's work, and or own, is.

Never been to NYC but I know I'd just love wandering around looking, seeing and taking pics.    As for Bill Cunningham,  if you've not seen it (and I think you will have), try see the documentary on Bill Cunningham. It's a cracker

Cheers,

Jack

Cheers and thanks again for your comments

Jack

-- hide signature --

Frank
All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

-- hide signature --

Frank
All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-r Pentax K-50 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow