Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mdennis
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Using 7d to video football
Oct 24, 2012

I've been asked by a friend of a friend to shoot video of some pop warner football games. The coach is looking to use the video of opposing teams to prepare for a playoff game.

I'm completely familiar with the sports photo side of the 7D and have shot all HS sports for local newspapers and online. My video experience however is almost none. I know it works and did shoot a couple of short clips while on vacation this past summer. I know it works but beyond that ..... I have access to Adobe CS6 Premier Pro and played with it just enough to know how to import/merge/edit seperate clips into 1 video.

The games are this Sunday in the afternoon so do not have to worry about night lighting, but the weather forecast is not sunny and mild here in NJ. I do not know yet from where I will be shooting from (sideline, stands, press box) as I have yet to talk to the coach about the field and my access.

So with all that I have lots of questions and concerns and little time to prepare. My main concern is focus or really refocusing to follow the play and depth of field. Since the purpose is not TV style zoomed in on the play I'll be shooting more wide angle which will give me more leeway on DOF and critical focus. I know that during video the 7D will not refocus on its own. I've read the manual and it sounds like you either let the camera set all the exposure options (Shutter speed, aperature, ISO) or you set it in manual. There doesn't seem to be an Av setting. I've done a little testing today tryingf to refocus my EFS 17-55  tracking a car outside the house and not easy or good results.

Looking for any tips, suggestions etc. If I was just taking wide angle shots from the press box I would just set it to f8-16, 1/500th and whatever ISO I needed but with video clips I assume of individual plays not really sure if this is the way to go.

Available lenses are EFS17-55 f2.8IS and EF70-200 f2.8ISMII. Some non IS primes but assume the zooms with IS on are much better for this purpose. I do not have a tripod but have been considering getting one for a while, mostly for travel, so some inexpensive suggestions there would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dennis

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow