Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Larry251
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
NEX F3 w/EVF or 5N
Oct 24, 2012

As some may know from prior posts, I purchased a 5N a few weeks ago.  I have about another week to return it if I wish.  I was looking at the NEX 6 because it has the two things that I felt the 5N is missing, the EVF and built in flash, but the price is really more than I would like to spend at this point because this is my first venture into interchangeable lens territory.

I had planned to keep the 5N and order the EVF figuring that I could eventually sell them and get the 6 sometime down the road if I really missed the built-in flash/EVF combo.

Well, to add to the confusion, I now have the opportunity to pick up a near new F3 w/18-55 and EVF for about the same amount that the F3 would cost by itself new -- essentially a free EVF and more money for lenses!  The F3 w/EVF would give me the opportunity to use both flash and EVF at the same time like the 6, but of course there are trade offs vs. the 5N.  I don't think I care much about the additional size or losing the touch screen, but I'm not sure whether the higher minimum ISO is going to be an issue.  Also I may miss the ability to tilt the screen down to the same extent as the 5N.

Anyway, now I'm faced with some decisions: (1) Keep 5N and buy EVF as planned; (2) Keep 5N, buy F3 with EVF and sell the F3; or (3) Buy F3 w/EVF and return 5N.

Please place your votes. 

ps -- please no flaming for posing another "what if" scenario.  Ultimately the decision is mine and it's not an earth shatteringly important decision, but I find different perspectives and opinions are always useful.  

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow