dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: Importance of IS?
In reply to Dorus, Oct 24, 2012

Dorus wrote:

dnercesian wrote:

drv320 wrote:

I found that I used IS, OS, IBIS as a crutch.  Yes, it was nice to have, but it can't replace good technique and thorough knowledge of your camera.

I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. Thanks for posting. I totally agree. I love IBS/IS/OIS/VR, but I know for a fact they have allowed me lazy moments that I should not have accepted over proper shooting technique. Ultimately it is our decision to use the technique regardless of the equipment, and the stabilization is there as a safeguard, just in case, but I do appreciate the discipline forced upon me on the occasions I wouldn't force it upon myself.

I have done this lazy dance a lot with my OMD. Sometimes I push it and I don't get away with it, and it stinks when you download the images and see what has happened and the lost opportunity. Other times I get away with it and chuckle to myself.

This is hardly the case on my X Pro 1 though because I do keep notice on technique, and I think it makes me a better photographer. Personally, when I get my XE1 kit and the zooms, I will treat them asif they don't have OIS, I hope. I'll mostly be using primes anyway.

Lots of helpful and interesting responses so far. However, I do not understand this "IS as a crutch for poor technique" thing. If a situation calls for a wide open aperture and slow shutter speed would IS just not give you more opportunity to get the shot? How would better technique give you the same added flexibility?

Dorus

IS is not a crutch in and of itself in the same way an actual crutch is not used as a crutch when it is sitting in a closet. When and if it becomes a crutch is completely up to the user. The equipment doesn't matter in that respect as much as your decisions do. You could have IBIS active and in use for all your lenses and still display the utmost technical skills on all your shots.

For instance, I trust proper lighting, tripods, and filters more than things like HDR and IS. I still like HDR when I actually want that effect specifically, but I prefer proper lighting when I can get it as well as the use of filters.

There are times when a tripod is simply necessary though, or at least advisable. I don't think IS is a replacement for that owe times, but it could help in a pinch if you don't have a tripod with you. Honestly though, you have a better chance at nailing it with the tripod.

I'm really grateful for the Fuji high ISO performance though. Gives me a lot more room to work with propper shutter speeds.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow