Would you sell your 70-200 f2.8 VRI for the 70-200 f4 VRIII?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kayone
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Would you sell your 70-200 f2.8 VRI for the 70-200 f4 VRIII?
Oct 24, 2012

So I currently own the as mentioned 70-200 2.8 VRI, which I've used on/off for the last 3 years. I purchased it for a great price from a local who had no idea how to shoot w a telephoto. Either way, I've made good use of the lens but can definitely recognize the limitations of the older VR1 system when shooting and full length telephoto under adverse action or lower light conditions. Also the vignetting at 70mm on a FX camera is still obvious.

I can probably sell my 70-200 for more than what I paid (was sold to me for ridiculously cheap) and while prices for the 70-200 2.8 VRII haven't dropped enough to be attractive enough to me, I'm contemplating making the switch to the 70-200 f4 when its released. I was always envious of Canon shooters who had the lighter weight f4 option.  I'm expecting newer and better optics compared to my f2.8 VRI and obviously smaller and lighter which is a plus.  Also this new lens is still compatible with my 1.7xTC so that is a bonus as well.

The difficult choice is obviously giving up the f2.8 for f4, so I'll lose some shallow DOF, but on a FX, i'm pretty happy with the degree of bokeh at f4 with the right backgrounds and the massively improved VRIII I wonder will give me a boost in lower light that I lose with the loss of f2.8.

I'm now currently shooting w D700 and D600 bodies

What do lens fanatics think of this choice?

Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow