Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?
Re: Importance of IS?
In reply to hellocrowley, Oct 24, 2012

hellocrowley wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Just keep in mind that IS does not freeze motion. It just helps with camera shake. I find better high ISO performance and fast glass are what help the most in low light. The need for IS really goes down when you can shoot at ISO6400 without the worry of losing on image quality.

I think the advantages of having a larger sensor and much better high iso performance out weigh any advantages gained from IS. Now of course having both would be the best of both worlds, but I guess we can't have everything.

The IS does not freeze motion which could help you create very interesting photos of moving trains/bikes without setting up a tripod... With the XPro1, I generally have to use shutter speed triple that of the focal length to be safe (so 1/60 for 18mm, 1/125 for 35mm).

OMD IS helps gain about 5 stops. XPro1 ISO performance is about 1 stop better. Do the math and take your pick.

I think 5 stops might be optimistic? Maybe 2 or 3 more realistic based on what a person with steady hands can hold.  Anyway, IS is no different than a tripod, you can always substitute a tripod for IS. Obviously, I hate carrying tripods, so that does make IS nice, but in practice I find that IS is never quite as good as a tripod.

I also found going from an IS camera to a non IS camera, that proper technique was my main problem, not IS.  I found that using appropriately fast shutter speeds was the bigger issue.  Sometimes I found that IS did weird things too, like actually made the picture worse or caused general softness issues, and I have seen that with both OIS and IBIS.

However, there is a point where you can't go faster than say 1/100 but have a 50-150 mm lens on an APS-C camera and you really need IS at that range, it makes a huge difference.  I won't deny that.  Thankfully most companies make a nice IS lens for that range (either 50-150 or 70-200).

The problem with fuji is that 1/(1.5*focal length) is not always enough.  Sometimes 1/2x or 1/3x  is more appropriate.  I wish they let you adjust auto ISO accordingly, to pick the X in 1/(X*focal length.

So I am split, IBIS/OIS can be nice to have in certain situations for sure, but as everything, they come with trade offs of their own, and I see too many people using it as a crutch as someone else pointed out.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow