Importance of IS?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
dnercesian
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: Importance of IS?
In reply to drv320, Oct 24, 2012

drv320 wrote:

I found that I used IS, OS, IBIS as a crutch.  Yes, it was nice to have, but it can't replace good technique and thorough knowledge of your camera.

I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. Thanks for posting. I totally agree. I love IBS/IS/OIS/VR, but I know for a fact they have allowed me lazy moments that I should not have accepted over proper shooting technique. Ultimately it is our decision to use the technique regardless of the equipment, and the stabilization is there as a safeguard, just in case, but I do appreciate the discipline forced upon me on the occasions I wouldn't force it upon myself.

I have done this lazy dance a lot with my OMD. Sometimes I push it and I don't get away with it, and it stinks when you download the images and see what has happened and the lost opportunity. Other times I get away with it and chuckle to myself.

This is hardly the case on my X Pro 1 though because I do keep notice on technique, and I think it makes me a better photographer. Personally, when I get my XE1 kit and the zooms, I will treat them asif they don't have OIS, I hope. I'll mostly be using primes anyway.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinion/s and/or suggestion/s of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow