Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
treepop
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
Re: Buddy at work wants to get camera for wife. Sony a37,t3i,d5100
In reply to Limburger, Oct 24, 2012

Limburger wrote:

tallymom wrote:

If his wife is not going to be a professional photographer, I don't see why lens selection really matters that much.  Sony has great DSLR's based on my research.  I was looking at the Sony a57 and the only reason I decided against it is because my husband prefers OVF.  I didn't mind the EVF but then again I only tested it in a Best Buy store.

If lenses don't matter I wonder why go for a dslr in the first place?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Those are my thoughts. However, it can be said DSLRS provide the best image quality. So maybe that's their reasoning. A counter point to that is the nex 5n which uses the same sensor as the D7000.  However I was told his wife wanted a DSLR not a nex.  So I had to assume it was because of the viewfinder, which led me to explaining that Optical was much better. Comparing looking at a scene through your eyes and through what a computer monitor thought the scene should look like.

I wanted to ask others to gain perspective, since I have a strong bias and might be overlooking something.

I think the sony has some nice points. 7fps is cool.  But to me, excessive. I can just imagine hundreds of shots of the same thing. His main point is buying a used t3i/D5100 vs a new a37.  To which I replied you get what you pay for.  
I was hoping the a37 had the same sensor as the d7000, but it looks to be different.

I will talk to him again and ask him to ask her to go try them out. I have a feeling that a37's build is no where near the t3i or d5100, but I could be wrong.

-- hide signature --

never stop learning

treepop's gear list:treepop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow