Importance of IS?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vivec
Regular MemberPosts: 491
Like?
Re: Importance of IS?
In reply to Dorus, Oct 24, 2012

I have been using a FF A900 with IBIS for the past three years, and recently got a X-Pro1 with all the lenses. I love the X-Pro1 because of its light weight and really good image quality even at higher ISO's.

However, I definitely miss the image stabilisation: when the light drops I have made quite a few unsharp photos due to camera movement (ie. too slow a shutter speed) which I am sure would have been fine on the A900 due to IBIS. This is definitely something you will notice especially since Fuji messed up the auto ISO and the shutter speed is generally too slow when on auto ISO.

So, I learned to be just much more careful with the X-Pro and be more conservative in what shutter speed would be ok. But it is a bit annoying coming from an IBIS system -- I guess i have been spoiled

In the end though, the trade-off is worth it to me because of the other excellent features of the X-Pro: ie. small, light, manual direct controls, very good build quality, super nice lenses, and beautiful OOC jpegs with excellent image quality.

Because of iBIS, i looked very hard at the Olympus OMD-EM5. However, in the end, I found that the OMD didn't feel as good in the hand with the mushy buttons and that the image quality is just not (yet?) in the same league. Also, I often like to use shallow DOF. With the 35mm F1.4 on the Fuji and APS-C this works out quite well -- with M4/3 there is really a noticable difference in my opinion with respect to FF.

(btw. for me the one disappointment with the X-Pro is not so much the lack of IS, but that the autofocus speed is quite bad... the OMD does *much* better in that regard)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow