Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
32mm f1.2 thoughts
Oct 24, 2012

Based on the online DOF calculator this can achieve DOF results besting any other common portrait lense and sensor outside of FF?

Sony NEX 5N with their 50 1.8 has a DOF of .85 ft with subject at 10 ft.

Canon APS-C with 50 1.8 - .81 ft

MFT with 45 1.8 - .79 ft

Nikon 1 with 32mm 1.2 - .77 ft!

FF with 85 1.8 - .44 ft

I tried the Nikon 1 before and felt it could be even better with better firmware/controls but regardless it still has very compelling features that aren't in any other mirrorless offerings.  This new portrait prime is a huge steroid shot...I am seriously thinking of picking up a cheap/refurbed J1 just to wait for the 32mm 1.2 prime!

What do you guys think of the pricing of this sucker?  It will be a serious contender at $300 if that is at all possible (would sell like crazy).  Unfortunately I'm afraid it'll be priced more like $500+ off of its f1.2 spec.  What is your thoughts on this portrait prime price?

Regardless with Nikon's hybrid PDAF (which so far seems the most decent), and insane continuous FPS, and rather good low-light performance this 32mm f1.2 seems really really nice.  I hope that because it competes with the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS and Oly 45mm 1.8, that the pricing is in the same ballpark at $300 as well!

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Nikon 1 J1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow