Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
Importance of IS?
Oct 24, 2012

Hi, I am a happy owner of an Olympus E520 which has served me well, but the improved IQ of the recent crop of mirrorless cameras has me now lusting after something newer, better, and smaller. Due to some imaginary loyalty to Olympus I was looking at the EM-5 and am blown away by the improvements in IQ that Olympus has made, but somehow I did not fall in love with the camera.

The X-Pro1 and X100 struck me as something that was very much like what Olympus was trying to do with their PEN series, but better executed. The X-E1 then came and struck a chord with me. I am seeing this mostly as a camera for social occasions using available light, something the E-520 always struggled with. Also, it should be an outstanding travel cam.

So here is my question: the in-body IS that Olympus offers seems to be a big advantage, and the X-E1 does not offer that, except of course the in-lens IS that the new zoom offers. Maybe more such lenses, including primes, will come along in the future but that is an unknown at this point.

For those that bought into this system or who are now considering the X-E1, you probably weighed the absence of IS in your considerations. Does that mean that IS is not (very) important to you? Or were there other factors that balanced the advantages of stabilization? I'm seriously interested in this so any considered opinions will be very much appreciated.

Dorus

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow