Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35mm f/2.8: What's the verdict?
In reply to picky2, Oct 24, 2012

picky2 wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/984972955/albums/walk-in-woods-2012

would you consider selling your Oly 45 at this point? I find that I have not been using it much since 12-35 is on my camera most of the time, yet, somehow I feel guilty selling it

You know, of all the lenses I own, the Oly 45 gets used least of all.  I owned the Pleica 45mm macro, and used it quite frequently, but decided to get the Oly 45 because of its smaller size and wider aperture.  I will not sell it, because I can imagine gatherings/events where I will want to do exclusively portrait work.  But I have found the colors to be less "rich" than they were with my Pleica 45, which I would often carry for its additional macro capacity. I really love the color/contrast of the panny 12-35mm, and there are few times now, since it already gives me 35mm at f2.8, when I think, "gee, I should also carry the 45 so I'll have 45 rather than 35mm, and will have f1.8 rather than f2.8."

More typically, I debate, "Shall I carry the 12-35mm for its wider angle of view and f2.8 brightness, or carry the 14-42x for its small size (which can be a real convenience)?"  On the hike I took, I was very glad that I carried the GH2 with the 12-35mm rather than my GX1 with the 14-42x. I also carried the 50mm PLeica, but didn't use it.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OkNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow