Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stephen Ingraham
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50HS at 1800mm handheld
In reply to Condor, Oct 24, 2012

Condor wrote:

Nice shot, thanks for sharing,

For those of us that we are asking for full zoom shots, very distant subjects is the need we really want to cover. You know, when that bird or squirrel looks like a baseball on the distance.

About that you used the framing buttons, did you kept the Lock (super IS, to call it some way) button pressed before half pressing the shutter?

Thanks in advance if you could really take some distant wildlife sample handheld (those that you normally have to strongly crop to get your final image, as we birders and wildlife observers always do).

Ed

Hi Ed,

I kept the framing assist button down while half pressing the shutter for focus. I am not certain that is the way to do it best. I am still experimenting as the instructions are not really clear.

As to distant wildlife...most of the time I don't even attempt distant wildlife. I know that if there is more than 100-200 feet of air between me and what I am photographing, all bets are off. You might get a reasonable (but not really sharp) image of a moose at greater distances...but the moving air between you and you subject rapidly becomes the limiting factor. It does not matter how long your zoom is, how sharp your lens is, or how many pixels you have. Distance kills quality.

My attraction to the 1200mm zoom on the SX50HS is that it allows me to photograph subjects at 1x that I used to photograph at 1.5x DTC on the 40HS, and at 1.5x for subjects that used to require 2x.

But since you asked, here is a shot at a greater distance. This was closer to 100 yards than 100 feet, and at 1.5x DTC for 1800mm equivalent field of view. The wind was blowing so hard I had to put the chin strap on my Tilly hat. Also this was taken before I knew about the framing assist button.

1.5x DTC from maybe 200 feet.

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-3N NEX5R Olympus OM-D E-M10 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow