SX50HS at 1800mm handheld

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50HS at 1800mm handheld
In reply to Stephen Ingraham, Oct 24, 2012

Stephen Ingraham wrote:

For those asking about the quality of zoom at the long end for birds...well..I have not happened on any cooperative birds yet, but here is a chipmunk which might stand in.

Remember this is with the 1.5x digital tel-converter, so expect some artifacts when viewed 1 to 1.

1.5x DTC for 1800mm equivalent field of view

Stephen,

I'm still on the fence regards the SX50. But yours and others' posts here are certainly keeping my interest up. Just as a matter of comparison for those interested, I have a similar image taken with my SX40 with the 2.0x DTC for a similar 1680mm equivalent field of view. Thought it may be helpful to some to include it in your thread, so I hope you don't mind.

Handheld uncropped SX40 2.0x DTC for 1680mm equivalent field of view

I agree with your statement about EVF vs LCD for these long focal lengths. I find looking through the EVF while my spread elbows rest firmly on my chest like a tripod is the easiest position to hold the camera steady. That's actually my preferred shooting position for the vast majority of images at all focal lengths, but very effective at the long end.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow