Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheVoid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
A cry for help to portrait photographers: white balance with off camera flash
Oct 24, 2012

I'm still learning about wireless flash photography and finding myself second guessing a lot of settings that I had hoped would just be second-nature by now!  One of these is the white balance when using wireless flash. Should I set white balance ignoring the fact that there is a flash involved? Like set to shade +1 or something if outdoors, and trust that the TTL metering will make it all work out right? Or should i specifically tell the camera that flash light will be present so set white balance to flash?

Another option is to use custom white balance set with a test shot (I'm shooting an a580). But in this case I don't know if the test shot is using the flash at the same level as my eventual exposure will use it.

Many thanks for your field-proven advice!

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow