x5 review on AP plus my quick impressions.

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RayUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
x5 review on AP plus my quick impressions.
Oct 24, 2012

The prestigious UK magazine Amateur Photographer has a brief 2 page review in this week's issue. I haven't looked but I guess you may find it on their website, either now or in the near future.

They give it 3 out of 5 stars - distinctly average, concluding "At its affordable price point this a very competitive camera. However, in a market where manufacturers have included so many new features.....the X-5 sinks into the background".

OTOH, their resolution chart shows the X5 to be "on a par with the best bridge cameras" at 100iso, and holding up well at 200, before dropping a bit at 400, again holding up at 800 and 1600. Above that is mush. However, they also say that "detail is soft, at best".

They mention a number of other parameters, which there isn't space to detail here.

AP thought the AWB was a bit cool, but I found it disastrous in tungsten lighting, with a bright yellow cast. However, fairly easily dealt with using the manual setting.

Doing a quick daylight comparison with my Sony HX20, I thought the IQ was very slightly better on the X5. AF speed was about the same (the HX20 is said to be slow, though), until halfway through the zoom range, when the X5 took increasingly long to find focus. I didn't find any difficulties mentioned by another poster with being unable to focus at short zoom ranges.

What they didn't mention was my experience with rechargeable AA's. I used freshly charged, but perhaps slightly old, batteries, and the camera clearly didn't like the lower voltage of NiMH rechargeables, with the charge rapidly depleting to 2 bars and then conking out a few minutes later. My battery tester showed a reasonable charge left. As it was also rather uncomfortable parked in my photographers jacket pocket, I have decided to return it, and make the best of my HX20 for now.

Ray

Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow