Sigma 120-400 OS users

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
monographix
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 120-400 OS users
In reply to BPB, Oct 24, 2012

Thanks Bryan !

( For some reason the gallery link doesnt work? )

Good shots especially considering the D40 AF and burst speeds and MP size and low light weather. The image of the heavy sigma mounted on the tiny D40 must be an interesting sight worth taking a pic of too lol (i am planing myself too to try the sigma on a D3200)

From some tests i made i couldn't see something noticeably different between OS off, OS1 & OS2. (unlike the results of VR Active mode in 18-200 which blurred my action shots - read afterwards that active is designed for shooting from moving platforms) From my understanding OS1 is maybe more suitable for multi-directional panning (aerobatics?) while OS2 is designed specifically for horizontal panning ?

Theres an upcoming short air display event here that i am thinking to shoot mostly with OS off mainly because i see that it indeed takes relatively enough time (for fast action situations) to completely stabilize and might also have some penalty on AF speed ? and to be also on the safer side as this is a rare event and the lens has also a profound back-focus issue ... To possibly increase the keepers.

Here are the samples indicating the back-focus

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/472fecyih2wxcts/-Y9U2k12I0/FOCUS_CHECK

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/472fecyih2wxcts/NZ_NbKnPzs/DSC_0264_f22_400mm.jpg (focusing @ 40m distance with f/22 the DOF should had been quite wide, instead its starting ~ 40cm beyond the focus point leaving the focus point out of focus ... )

This lens is sharp and nice where it is focusing. Currently though it is not focusing where it is aiming. The OS works well , i believe its just kinda slow for not predictable, fast situations and i don't mind its mechanical humming, actually i prefer it as one more indication that it is working (and how it is working. Similar reason as to why i prefer to have focus beeps enabled) One drawback is its weight but i could compromise with that if i can fix its back-focus with a very reasonable cost. Also i would like my sample to be sharp at f/8 instead of f/11 as, you can see from your airshow pics, weather is often not helpful in airshows and motorsports and shutter speed is paramount (as noise too since often have to crop the subject from the frame because of the distance even with a 400mm lens i thnk) If the back-focus is a matter of probably missaligned elements, proper alignment might maybe reduce the sharpest aperture too, who knows.

Now during the upcoming even i will also see if 400mm is enough reach for me shooting aviation subjects ...

some pick of the most clear pics of a bunch of tests i made on the field : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/472fecyih2wxcts/fcCIWGt5ba#/

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.gr/nickdelhanidis/sets
monographix.deviantart.com/gallery

monographix's gear list:monographix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow